Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Peugeot 5008 fixed!



I got my Peugeot back already from the agent and as guessed, the battery death was the main cause of the electrical faults showing in my car.  I asked one of the mechanic working for Peugeot why the battery ran out of juice so early of its life.  His answer was "Your car has 34 separate ECUs and it drained your battery !".  Hmmm, not the answer I am looking for but is acceptable.

Can you locate the battery?

Red arrow is pointing where the battery is,  look at how deep the battery is located to the firewall of the car!

The car just went pass 22,000km, so does that mean every 20,000km I have to change a new battery???  We shall see how in the future!!  Anyway, I was charged $30.00 for the diagnoses and additional $10.00 for asking the mechanic to change the battery!  Usually I love to get my hand dirty especially with my own cars.  But when I popped the hood, I came across two problems.  First, battery location is so deep inside the engine bay that removing it seem like a problem.  Secondly, some fuse or module was attached on top of the battery.  I was so afraid to remove it, so ended up asking the mechanic to do it for me.

Yellow arrow - Battery "+" terminal
Red arrow - Fuse box attached on battery as mentioned!

The battery cost me BND$150.00!  The mechanic later said to me there are procedures to remove the battery.  I was like WTF???? I asked the dude what procedure and he said I need to unlock all doors, remove key,  wait for 5 minutes blah blah blah that I can't be f**k about listening.  I just paid $10.00 bucks and got it solved without fuss ! Man,  What a day........

4 comments:

  1. Hi Eric,
    Nice thread you have post on the 5008. Thanks.
    I am James, from Malaysia.
    Just placed a booking on the 5008, got me a discount for RM5000, and a free V-Kool Tinted worth RM2500. But 5008 have a long waiting list, need to wait for 6~7 months period to get the car. Test car is also not available, but i have tested is the 3008.

    Your post caught my attention! :)

    Do you mind to share more on the driving experience? How the car absorb the bump and how it goes at the uneven road?

    What is your comment regarding the interior build quality? Any problem so far? How is noise insulation, how do you rate it?

    I found in some forum saying that the "engine valve cover" has oil leaking. Did you experience anything? I am quite worry as this is the first car we bought which is priced above RM100,000. I am driving a Honda City V-tec 2008, initially plan to get a Honda Stream RSZ, but the price is almost in par with 5008; but 5008 has more features! That's why i booked it.

    Looking forward to know your overall comment on this car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Firstly sorry for the late reply. I read that 5008 is selling quite well in Malaysia...sadly in Brunei, I am the only 5008 on the road and the other unit is still inside the showroom

    OK here is my opinion after owing the car for almost one year.

    3008 was initially our first choice but due to the size we jump to 5008 instead and never regret doing so. I had never test drove a 3008 so I do not know how it feels but given that 3008 and 5008 are identical to each other I don't see any differences in between them.

    As for the handling and ride, well I lived near loose gravels area and I would say it's a bit disappointing. But on the other hand, riding to bandar and normal urban places then 5008 is a great riding car. The engine is great too! The turbo engine is very responsive in overtaking and highway cruising.

    The interior is what u would expect from an european car. High quality build. Leather works fine in our tropical weather. Noise insulation i would give in 8/10.

    As for the engine valve cover oil leak, so far the car is doing fine (*touch wood). When we first look for a family car, a lot of japanese car was in the lists, but the 5008 equipment is a no brainer to miss especially that super huge panaromic roof. Always put a smile to my lil boy when we opened it!

    Hope this help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 3ric, sorry for using your blog here. By the way it's a good info and reference for pug lover here in your blog. keep on posting.

    hi cycheah, i am from malaysia too,unfortunately i was a lil bit late in placing booking since Nasim can't take any in this period. can you ctc me at mohdhazarudin@gmail.com need to have some chit chat on the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dargonshooter, u r more then welcome to chit-chat with our readers here. It seem like 5008 is really selling like a hot cake in Malaysia..sadly, the second unit 5008 in Brunei is still in the showroom...I guess Bruneian still cannot accept the Lion brand...

    ReplyDelete