Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Project : W210 - Trouble Shoot The Parktronic



Today I will be removing the front bumper so that I can check the conditions of the Parking Sensor or as Mercedes Benz called it, Parktronic.  As mentioned in many of my earlier W210 post, the front bumper of my W210 had a minor accident and the bumper was torn apart by a truck during a corner of a street.  That incident damaged my baffle plates and also one parktronic sensor.   

 The Parktronic had been disabled for more then 10 years because it will not function even if one sensor is not working. I need to make sure all the Parktronic sensors and harnesses are in working order before sending this car for respray.

So to check, first I need to remove the front bumper and the body under panels.  It's a straight forward job by just removing all the bolts and screws


Once the under panel is out as shown above I can begin removing the bumper.  There are only 4 bolts holding the bumper with the car body.


First bolt as shown here

Second bolt as shown here

Third bolt as shown here and forth on the other side

Then you slowly pull the bumper out and here it is!


The top picture is one of the harness connector for one of the Parktronic.  There are 6 in the front and 4 at the back.  And thank god all of the harness are in working order.  How do I know?  Well, I had been doing a lot of research on these Parktronic online. To know whether the Parktronic or harness is functioning or not all you need to do is switch on your engine and put your finger on the Parktronic sensors and feel for vibration.  Because the Parktronic uses ultra-sonic wave you can actually feel the wave vibrating! Another way to check is to put your ear on the Parktronic sensors and listen for vibration or knocking.  I tried both methods and it works!  

So here is what I found. I took a working Parktronic sensor and tried it on all the 6 harness connectors at the front bumper. As mentioned earlier all the harness connectors are working just fine. I also tried all 6 Parktronic sensors on the harness connector and found out 3 of the Parktronic sensors in the front are no longer working.  One of Parktronic sensor is a purchases I bought online at Aliexpress.  So now I need to get 3 units of Parktronic sensors for the front.  

As for the rear bumper, I have to engage to reverse gear to engage the Parktronic. Again using feel for the vibration and I am glad all four are vibrating!  So it means the harness connector and Parktronic are working fine!

The three broken Parktronic sensors

No comments:

Post a Comment