Thursday, July 29, 2010

Made In Germany..... or Finland?



Ever wonder where your car is manufactured by who or in which country? You will probably answered Japanese car from Japan, German car from Germany or Korean car from Korea ?

In the current market, many car manufacturers had outsourced their vehicles to be assembled elsewhere by some other company OR in another country. Good example are Toyota Vios from Thailand, Honda City from Thailand, Honda Freed from Indonesia, Mercedes Benz C-Class from South Africa and Porsche Boxster/Cayman from Finland.

I won't go into much details about other manufacturers but instead will talk about Porsche. In Porsche, some of their Boxster/Caymen are assembled in Finland by this company called Valmet Automotive.



Valmet Automotive is located in Uusikaupunki in Finland, they had been assembling Porsche Boxster/Caymen for quite sometime. In the past they also assemble other makes such as SAAB models and Renault Clio V6. More recent Fisker Karma also joined their lists.

I always thought that my Boxster is Made in Finland but recently after watching Discovery Megafactory - Porsche, I noticed that there were a few Boxster and Cayman in the show. So I was wondering is my car from Germany or Finland?

So I took a picture of my VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) as shown in the picture below and decide to decode it using Porsche VIN decoder from some Porsche forum.

This is taken from my Porsche Boxster S


WP0ZZZ98ZAS7206--
(sorry, not going to show my full VIN details so I will omit the last 2 initials)

W - County of Manufacture - Germany
P - Porsche
0 - Vehicle Types or Manufacturing Division
ZZZ- Engine, body style, series
98 - Model
Z - Accuracy check?
A - Model Year - in this case is 2010
S - Assembly Plant Initial - Stuggart
720637 -Sequence number as it roll of production line

I was a bit surprised, hehe and of course happy about it too after finding it is manufactured in Stuggart, Germany. Paying for a premium car like Porsche, you would expect it to be made from its country of origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment