Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fuel Consumption, Take It For Granted ?

q


Good evening! Just want to put a few words out. I had been doing full time work from 10am till 9.30pm ever since my CH-Toynation was officially opened. So my daily routine practically is drive to work, parked the car, drove back home after work. Talk about boring routine~.

My ER34 had been my regular work horse due to some issue with my Boxster S(which I will further explain when it is fixed). Being a weekend car in the past, it was driven no more than 5 times in a month! Now, I had it driven daily for the pass few weeks....


Recently, I noticed the fuel consumption on ER34 is going through the roof! For a full tank of petrol(BND$29.00) it will only last me about 6-7 days!, whereas for the Porsche Boxster S, with a full tank of petrol(BND$30.00) will last me 14-15 days on the same route!


I think there are several reasons for the big differences in fuel consumption. Firstly, ER34 is a modified car. Big horsepower equal lousy mpg in return! Being a 11years old car, the technology then and now was drastically different. Boxster S do have the latest technology DFi(Direct Fuel Injection) to minimize fuel consumption. Given the sky rocketing price on fuel around the world, Porsche is pushing hard for lower fuel consumption on all their cars hence their new slogan "Porsche Intelligence Performance".



ER34 bonnet vents sure didn't save me any fuel consumption :P


OK, I am not here to complaint about how much I spent on petrol, as a matter of fact our gas is one of the cheapest in the world and at just BND$0.53 per liters, who am I to complaint? And who should we thanks? Of course the Brunei Government for the subsidizing !

I don't really remember how much it was subsidized but roughly around 80cents to 90cents per litre? But I can tell you many locals(even cross border) are taking these subsidy for granted! Remember the Fuel Subsidy awareness that our government put up last year on May 2011? Read here! Personally I think the government should have it for 1 week or 1 month to really hit the awareness in these people mind!



Petrol in Brunei is really dirt cheap and we should appreciate what we have. Always remind yourself that whenever you are about to pump your car! Across the pond, other countries are not as lucky as us. For example, Australia petrol cost about AUD$1.60(BND$2.00) per litre and some place in Europe such as Germany cost well over Euro$1.60(BND$2.70) per liter!!!

Petrol price comparison for ER34(60litre) and Boxster S(65litre):-


Nissan Skyline ER34
  • BND$29.00 - Brunei
  • BND$120.00 - Australia
  • BND$162.00 - Germany


Porsche Boxster S
  • BND$30.00 - Brunei
  • BND$130.00 - Australia
  • BND$175.00 - Germany
I am sure you guys can work out the maths above. You guys can also click here to check out the gas price in Europe. Appreciate what we have now !!!

New parking spot for ER34 ?



2 comments:

  1. Nice ER34. I wasn't lucky enough to get R34 at my time so i got a ECR33 instead. I have roughtly the same fuel consumption as your ER34 but driving in Seria is not as fun as cruising on the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. teng - haha, i see! at least you can cruise to bandar at JP highway! :)

    ReplyDelete